By Dubravka Hajdin
More than ever, women are considering different ways to exercise and one of it is martial arts. Martial arts are systems of techniques which also helps in spiritual, mental and physical development.
Different Types of Martial Arts
Some of the most popular martial arts in Singapore are: Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA and Boxing.
- Muay Thai originated in Thailand and combines punching and a little of clinching (grabbing and throwing on the floor) techniques. The technique is interesting because you can punch with knees and elbows, which can be really effective in fighting.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu combines techniques of grabbing and fighting on the ground. To the spectator watching from outside it resembles judo.
- MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). A mixture of martial arts, usually Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Boxing and Muay Thai.
- Boxing is one of the most popular sports and the most marketed one. So we all know that we can put our gloves on and go to practice where we learn punching techniques that are best effective in fight.
Here is a summary of popular martial arts gyms in Singapore :
1. Evolve MMA
Evolve MMA gym (Photo credits: Evolve MMA gym)
Evolve MMA has three locations in Singapore: Far East Square, Orchard Central and POMO mall. They also offer these classes:
- Warrior Fit program is designed for those who do not want to engage in contact with opponent. The main focus is to get you in shape in a fun and safe way by using movements from various martial arts disciplines.
- Kickboxing is combination of Muay Thai and K1 Dutch-style kickboxing. If you decide to learn this martial art, this is the best place to do so. You will have expert trainers working with you.
- Yoga for MMA is designed as a supplement program to MMA or other martial arts that you practice in this gym. The goal is to achieve the maximum flexibility and enhance cardiovascular system thought Hatha yoga techniques.
Check out Evolve MMA detailed information and prices.
- Evolve Far East Square, 26 China Street, #01-01,Singapore, 049568
- Evolve Orchard Central, 181 Orchard Road, # 06-01, Singapore, 238896
- Evolve POMO mall, 1 Selegie Road, #03-11, Singapore, 188306
2. Onyx MMA
Onyx MMA is located in the West coast area. This gym is only covered on top, so you practically have your training outside without any AC. If you want to loose weight fast then this is a place for you! They offer MMA , Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing, Max and Sparing practices.
- Sparing practices are the ones where you fight with opponent in controlled environment. They are designed for those who wish to compete. The team of professionals will make sure that you are well prepared for any competition.
- Free trial class
Find out everything you need about Onyx MMA.
The address of this gym is: 600 West Coast Road, Singapore, 127445
3. Fight G
Fight G gym (Photo credits: Fight G gym)
Located in Clarke Quay, Fight G offers MMA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai and Boxing practices. Other classes include:
- Fight classes which are designed for those who would like to practice at higher level. It is ideal for future competitors. Here you will not only learn techniques and strategies for a ring fight, but also be mentally prepared for it.
- Extreme conditioning is for those who wish to increase their mobility, dexterity, strength and speed. The practice includes workouts with body weight, kettle bells, battling ropes and so on.
- For adults monthly rate is $125/ month for unlimited, $110/ 8 sessions $85/4 sessions
- All membership rates are based on 3-month membership for this gym
- Annual registration fee is $20
You can get more information on Fight G .
Address: 41C North Canal Road, Singapore, 059297
4. Impact MMA
Impact MMA gym (Photo credits: Impact MMA gym)
Located at Shenton House, It offers MMA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai. Other classes include:
- No-gi Grabing represents extension of Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ). It is adapted to MMA fighting for those who don’t wear gis ( judo jacket) when they compete. If you do not compete, you are also welcome to learn the craft of No-gi Grabing.
- Cardio kickboxing is mixture of cardio routine, Muay Thai and Kickboxing techniques.
- Monthly unlimited rate for adults is $262
- $208/ 8 session/ month
- $141/ 4 sessions/ month
- Unlimited Cardio kickboxing monthly rate is $139
Detail schedule and all classes of Impact MMA gym.
Location of Impact MMA is: 3 Shenton Way, #03-06, Shenton House,Singapore, 068805
5. Vanda Boxing Club
Vanda Boxing Club (Photo credits: Vanda Boxing club)
Vanda Boxing Club offers Boxing and Muay Thai classes. They have women-only boxing classes – Ideal for women to learn how to spar.
- Adults is $270/ per 6 months
- Family is $562/ per month.
- Free trial class
Put on your boxing gloves and find out more about Vanda Boxing Club.
Vanda Boxing Club is located: 108 Robinson Road, Finexis Building, #01-01,Singapore 068900
I love to share my life experiences through writing. My favourite form of writing includes poetry and short stories. And I find myself writing very often on my personal blog Journeyoftheseeker.wordpress.com. I love writing and will continue my search for new things to write about.